Well well well...
It's been months since blogging...but since I'm heading back to Tokyo in two weeks, it seemed like a good idea. I'm not sure about the daily blog thing, but we'll see--I've only just stopped thinking in 'blog-speak' so now starting again....
Well, we'll see!
Of course, I'm feeling exactly like I did before I left last time--sad to be leaving but excited to be going. Not sure what to expect, but sure it will be great once I get there.
Briefly. Some things that have changed (good, bad, and bizarre):
1. Helen has left Japan to head back to the UK. I'm thrilled for her to be there and so happy, but selfishly sad for me that she won't be there. Thinking about the sheer number of hours we spent together, its very hard for me to imagine her not there...who's going to make me a cuppa when I'm having a deadline panic or carry me up Mt. Fuji? *must remember, it is a fool who doesn't climb fuji-san once and a bigger fool who climbs it twice*
2. Karin, Kieron, Andrea, and Jen have also left CPI. I've missed a few people too, who came and went for various reasons between August and now. As a result, I'm totally old and totally new.
3. I'm editing BAB now, a few notches up from the intern/designer gig I had last time I blogged. Similar work but more responsibility and more fun too, as I get to commission a lot which I love! Still designing as well. I'm like a proud mummy flashing copies around to anyone I can corral long enough. If you're a foreign woman in Japan with a story to tell, get in touch!
4. Back in Canada, there is the whole Aaron thing, which is great...but best enjoyed when both parties in the relationship share a continent? I'm steadfastly refusing to think about leaving him even though time is a galloping forth. I want to have my cake and eat it too, selfish as that is. Time will tell.
I think I did this last time, but things I'm looking forward to/want to do:
1. Summer Sonic 08. Because the lineup freaking rocks!! The Verve, Coldplay (COLDPLAY!!!), Death Cab, Panic at the Disco, The Fratellis, Band of Horses, Bedouin Soundclash, Sex Pistols, Justice, Tokyo Police Club Alicia Keys, etc, etc, etc. I've seen Coldplay, Bedouin, and the frontman from the Verve (at Coldplay, incidentally) live before but none of the others so it would be a pretty fantastic and frenetic two days in Chiba.
2. Hong Kong!!! Woot, I'm soooo excited!!! I have 4 days/3 nights in early September. Unfortunately its *right* inbetween the Olympics and the paras so I miss both (equestrian events are in HK) but maybe Karen will be there already, stars aligned, and we can meet up or something....in any case, HK!!! (anyone want to come?)
3. A PIA wrap at Suji's...Oh yes.
4. Being back in the office...seeing everyone, being able to meet up with people, not being a day behind, and editing a magazine in the same country/timezone/culture as the one I live in. Handy, that.
5. Maybe playing soccer (with the 'onnabelievables')
6. Maybe doing gymnastics at Meiji Gakuin
7. Kichijoji and Shimokitazawa ('nuff said)
8. the Pink Cow w/ Karin
9. What the Dickens to see Kieron/Cashell
10. A million zillion people at Shibuya crossing. Virgin Megastore, Shinjuku Eki at rush hour (mmm wait, maybe not), j-pop sundays at yoyogi koen, cosplay in Harajuku, ramen, etc.
Of course, top of the list is really seeing everyone again, Peter, Hitomi, V-chan, the Orbitune crew, everyone @ work, some of my students, old friends, and the people i'm hoping to meet.
That's a good list. The list of people here is good too, but I'll stay in touch. This blog is a start.